Top 25 Beers of 2013: 15-11
Over the course of 2013, I reviewed 249 different beers. As this year comes to a close, I thought I would look back at my reviews and tell you what I thought were the top-25 of the year — and, I’ve also picked five honorable mentions. This list will be posted over the span of five days, ending on January 1, 2014. Each day will feature an honorable mention, in addition to five beers on the list.
A little about how I picked the list: I didn’t go off my numerical point scale — instead, I chose this list by narrowing down all my 2013 reviews to around 40 memorable beers. By memorable, I mean beers that made me take notice and want to make repeated return visits. From that list of 40, I pared it down to 25, ordered them, and then picked five honorable mentions.
Obviously, it would be impossible for anyone to review every single beer that was released in 2013, so please remember that my list is based off what distributes to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, what I was able to trade for outside my market, and also just what I sampled. For instance, none of the beers that made last year’s list will appear on this list, because I’ve already reviewed them. These are beers that I have reviewed within the calendar year.
Top 25 Beers of 2013 (that I reviewed) — 15-11:
15. Bell’s The Oracle Imperial IPA, 98 points. Reviewed September 14th.
14. The Bruery Bois 5th Anniversary Old Ale, 98 points. Reviewed August 16th.
13. Wicked Weed Coolcumber Golden Ale, 91 points. Reviewed September 15th.
12. Logsdon Seizoen Bretta Farmhouse Ale, 98 points. Reviewed May 10th.
11. The Alchemist Heady Topper Imperial IPA, 100 points. Reviewed May 9th.
Alaskan Smoked Porter (2012), 95 points. Reviewed June 28th.