Top 25 Beers of 2013: 25-21
Over the course of 2013, I reviewed 249 different beers. As this year comes to a close, I thought I would look back at my reviews and tell you what I thought were the top-25 of the year — and, I’ve also picked five honorable mentions. This list will be posted over the span of five days, ending on January 1, 2014. Each day will feature an honorable mention, in addition to five beers on the list.
A little about how I picked the list: I didn’t go off my numerical point scale — instead, I chose this list by narrowing down all my 2013 reviews to around 40 memorable beers. By memorable, I mean beers that made me take notice and want to make repeated return visits. From that list of 40, I pared it down to 25, ordered them, and then picked five honorable mentions.
Obviously, it would be impossible for anyone to review every single beer that was released in 2013, so please remember that my list is based off what distributes to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, what I was able to trade for outside my market, and also just what I sampled. For instance, none of the beers that made last year’s list will appear on this list, because I’ve already reviewed them. These are beers that I have reviewed within the calendar year.
Top 25 Beers of 2013 (that I reviewed) — 25-21:
25. The Bruery Smoking Wood Imperial Porter, 94 points. Reviewed April 24th.
24. Stone Farking Wheaton W0̷0̷tstout Imperial Stout, 96 points. Reviewed September 23rd.
23. Boulevard Saison-Brett Farmhouse Ale, 96 points. Reviewed July 12th.
22. Avery The Maharaja Imperial IPA, 97 points. Reviewed March 16th.
21. New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat Hefeweizen, 98 points. Reviewed June 26th.
Appalachian Mountain Baba Budan Coffee IPA, 92 points. Reviewed October 9th.